Saturday, May 31, 2008

End of another year of school

My 18th year of teaching will be completed on June 4. How well I remember my first teaching assignment which was at St. Thomas Moore in Omaha, Nebraska. I would hate the measurement of my teaching skills to be described by that first novice year. I was teaching by day and singing at the Swinging Door Saloon by night with my partner Dave Webber. We were Dave and Colleen. We had a good deal of success in that adventure and continued singing for two years.

Marrying Doug, my sweetheart, ended the Dave and Colleen era, but opened a new and wonderful phase of my life. After bearing 8 incredible children, teaching voice at BYU Hawaii and then in Orem, Utah, I entered the public education system as a teacher as a Special Education teacher working with students with very mild learning disabilities in math, reading and/or writing. I taught at Canyon View JHS in Orem for 2 years and Oak Canyon JHS in Lindon, Ut. for 15 years. Now, for the past two years, I've been teaching Sp. Ed.(Resource) at Riverton High School in Riverton, Ut..

Next year I'll embark on another phase of my teaching career. I will be teaching the Intellectually Handicapped students at Riverton HS. I look forward to this new adventure. I am so thankful for the preparation, through education, that led to this new opportunity.

Currently I am working on a teaching endorsement (through BYU) in reading, which is still another adventure. I'll finish this preparation in another year and a half. Education is very important to me. It is good to know that we take with us into the eternities those things we have learned here in mortality.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

You're amazing Mom!! After all these years of teaching you continue to do more and more, and reach new heights with your many endorsements. I'm sure proud to have you as my mom. Love you! -Shan