Saturday, November 15, 2008

Thanksgiving is approaching!

I love Thanksgiving and everything it represents; family, love, security, safety and the prosperity represented by the bounty we enjoy. Daily I am thankful. I am thankful for Doug who loves me though I am not all that love able. I am thankful for our children: Quinn, Megan, Shane, Erin, Shannon, Caitilin, Sean and Conn. I am thankful for Kurt, Sharon and Ryan, our precious in-law children. I am thankful for Darlene and her Kiwi heritage. I am thankful for grandchildren: Kalin, Kai, Gavin, Ryan, Owen and Aidan. I am thankful for siblings: Jack, Tom, Kathleen and Eileen. I am thankful for in-laws: Dave, Catherine, Dick, Carol, Jerry and Peggy, Mike and Osa. I am thankful for my dearest friend, Susan who is just 10 months older than I am. I am thankful for frequent phone calls to and from each of my family. I am thankful for the "nosey, nosey, kiss" I receive in person or on the phone from my grandsons.

Each day as I leave our home to drive the 27 miles to Riverton to teach at Riverton High School, I close the front door, and as I do it, I say a prayer of thanks for the comfort of our home and the blessing of even having a home. As I drive the freeway to school in the very early dawn, I give thanks for each of my students, for my job, my health, the opportunity to teach and be influenced by the humble qualities of of my students, each of whom has a severe intellectual disability. I am blessed because I associate with these students. I am blessed to enjoy a life of freedom where I can pray and attend church and the temple.

The incredible pumpkin pie that Sharon makes (and no she won't share the recipe ), the sweet potato casserole that Shannon makes, the side dishes that Megan creates, the Kiwi dessert Darlene makes, the pecan pie Erin makes and the gathering with family to share in a feast of love...this is Thanksgiving. Caitilin, Kurt, Gavin and Ryan create and share Thanksgiving with friends and missionaries in Charlotte, N.C. We are thankful for the goodness of the Summerhays family.

4 comments:

Erin said...

Wow, mom! Impressive that you've begun blogging once again!

Unknown said...

Good Collen Curran-

I found your message on my blog and I felt to tell you how great I think you are. You are so kind to invite me for pizza and some good ol' fashion church singing.

In the past weeks I have reunited with several of your children at Savior of the World and New Kids and I am so impressed with each of them. You raised some awesome kids.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

: ) Paula said...

Hi Sister Curran!

Found your blog (was looking for contact info for Quinn and Darlene), what a fun site!

Ben says hi and we hope you're all doing well. I recently got in touch with Megan again--I can't believe how big those boys are!

Feel free to visit our blog, and let Quinn know that Ben and I asked about him, take care. Have a wonderful holiday season.

: ) Paula and Ben

betterthanhousework.blogspot.com

Thelma Gunter said...

Hi, Colleen... you may not remember me. My name is Thelma Gunter.. I married Lonnie Gunter. We were in Showcase Hawaii back in the 70's. We would love to talk to Doug if you can get him to call us. We are in Utah until tomorrow, Monday the 20th. I may try another way to call you. 864-525-0495 We live in South Carolina. Thelma